top of page

Body Language: Interview Do's & Dont's



Body language – Interview DO’s and DON’T’S


Your body language can have a significant impact on how you’re perceived, and so you have to be aware of it from the moment you step through the door. It can take anywhere between 5 and 30 seconds for a person to form an opinion of you, when you’ve only got a short time to sell yourself, this can be a deciding factor in whether you get the job.


According to Professor Albert Mehrabian, only 7% of a message is conveyed verbally, through words. The other 93% is split between tone of voice (38%) and body language (55%).


Body language- Interview Do’s

  • Walk in Confidently.

  • Deliver a firm (but not too firm) handshake.

  • Sit up straight- avoid being too stiff but try to sit up straight.

  • Keep eye contact- maintain good eye contact shows the interviewer you are confident and engaged.

  • Smile- Although you may be nervous, try and smile as much as possible. This will make you look more relaxed, comfortable and personable.

  • Watch your hands- keep your hands on your lap or on the desk- keep them away from your face.


Body language- Interview Dont’s

  • Arrogance is not a good look. Remember confidence and arrogance are not the same thing.

  • Offer a weak handshake- this demonstrates a lack of confidence, try and mirror your interviewer’s handshake.

  • Bad posture- avoid slouching and crossing your arms and legs, this can often be seen negatively and can be read as boredom.

  • Staring- although you want to maintain good eye contact, don’t stare. There is a fine line between holding someone’s gaze and staring them down.

  • Don’t fidget- avoid moving around too much, this applies to your legs as well. This will be a sign of nervousness. Avoid at all costs.

  • Talking with your hands- big movements can be seen as aggressive, try to keep your hand movements to a minimum.

  • Checking your phone or watch- this is bad manners. Make sure to turn your phone off before going into an interview to avoid any embarrassing moments.

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Σχόλια


bottom of page