1. Take action- Employers value action over words. Be a doer not a talker.
2. Set goals- If you want to succeed, you need to set goals. Without goals, you lack focus and direction. Goal setting not only allows you to take control of your career, but it also provides you with a benchmark for determining whether you are actually succeeding. (Mindtools)
3. Take control- Top achievers take control of their own destiny by regular self-evaluation to ensure they are keeping on track with their short and long term goals.
4. Seek out knowledge- If you are not learning you are not growing. Don't rely on others to teach you, self-learning is key to being the best in your field. Remember, knowledge is power!
5. Use your initiative- Don't wait for instruction, use your initiative to get the job done, always be striving to do more! Show your managers you are able to work independently and you will be trusted with more responsibility.
6. Proactively communicate- Communication is key no matter what level of seniority you are in within your company.
7. Build relationships- Building relationships is often cited as one of the key drivers for building a successful career. Your relationships at work can have an impact on your job satisfaction, morale and quality of life.
8. Gain trust- Building trust in the workplace is invaluable to a successful career. Once you build trust, you will enhance your reputation and increase your ability to influence decision makers internally and externally.
9. Build a personal brand- According to Forbes, your personal brand is an indication of what you have to offer and can make or break your career. It's also indicative of confidence and credibility.
10. Be authentic- "Authenticity is the alignment of head, mouth, heart, and feet – thinking, saying, feeling, and doing the same thing – consistently. This builds trust, and followers love leaders they can trust.” – Lance Secretan